StatCounter

Monday, November 22, 2004

SpringCharts on a Mac

While researching whether I should upgrade to version 7.0 of SpringCharts, I found this article about another family doctor who also uses SpringCharts with a Mac. (Besides me, that is.) I keep thinking that as smart as doctors are supposed to be, why don't more choose the intuitive, hassle-free Mac platform, rather than the buggy, insecure Windows platform?
"I hear it all the time from other doctors," says Michael Marlow. "They'd like to move to an EMR system, but their partners aren't ready." To convince his own partners that SpringCharts on Macintosh was a sound business solution, Marlow used a number of very logical - and ultimately, persuasive - arguments:

Affordability. "It's far less expensive, in the long run, to own and run anything on Macintosh. Because it lasts longer. The software technology doesn't outpace the hardware technology - or vice versa - within sixteen or eighteen months, like it often does in the Windows environment. And the cost of technical support is minimal."

Ease. "It's easy enough for someone with average skills to install the network, the hardware and software. You don't need an IT support person to come in and do it for you. You may choose to, because you're pressed for time. But if you have the interest; you can do it yourself."

Security. "When you're dealing with confidential patient information, Mac is a far safer choice. It's extremely difficult for someone to get into my network from the outside. But for them to get into my Power Book is almost impossible. And viruses? With Mac OS X, they simply don't exist on the Mac."

While the other two physicians in Marlow's practice have yet to make the leap themselves - "they're still scribbling notes on paper," he smiles - they are impressed with "the oohs and aahs they hear from patients when they see what I can do with my PowerBook."

Come to think of it, I'm still scribbling my notes, too, then retyping everything in later. Maybe I should skip a step and just type everything in at once. I'm proficient enough of a typist where I can type and maintain eye contact at the same time. I'll try it on my next few patients and see if anyone oohs or aahs.