StatCounter

Thursday, October 02, 2003

On Hold

I had a problem with the "comments" function, but it is fixed now that I am using Haloscan. All previous comments were lost however.

My inexorable trek towards medical autonomy is basically on hold until I can secure an office space, since no one will issue malpractice insurance without knowing where you're going to be practicing.

Since I am specifically targetting a small city (South Pasadena) because of its lack of competition (0 family practitioners), I am limited by its 3.2 square miles of space. I must have looked at every available office space in town in the past year, some more than once. Since I plan to be a solo practitioner with no employees, my space needs are very modest. Gordon Moore, who started this concept of low-overhead practice, works out of a single exam room he rents from another physician with a rent of $500/month.

There are very few physicians in this town (Dr. Drew Pinsky AKA the Loveline Doctor, 1 OB/Gyn, 1 Pediatrician, 1 Ophthalmologist, 1 Plastic Surgeon) and while I haven't asked everybody, everyone I did ask said they had no space available. I think the reason there aren't many physicians is because they are located in the surrounding communities which are only a few miles away. I'm hoping that there will be at least a few patients who don't want to drive those few miles and see me instead. And not just the lazy ones.

Countdown: 95 days until target start date